Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What have I learned in this class?

This class has taught me about how the media is a part of every aspect of our lives even if it is not blatantly obvious. The topics that we covered vary but are all tied with the central theme that the mass media is growing in size and power. First we learned that media literacy is a persons ability to notice the media that they come into contact with and realize the effects it has on them. We moved on to cover mass media technology which taught us all the different types of media they are and how the newest form, the Internet, is vast and almost anonymous which is why it is popular across the globe. Next we covered media economics which determined how economics drives most media companies. Ink on paper allowed us to ponder the question of whether or not the print industry will survive with the ever changing media landscape and digitization of media. Then we proceeded to talk about sound media and deregulation of the radio and recording industry. The other subjects included motion media, the new media landscape, news, entertainment, public relations, advertising, mass audience, mass media effects, media and democracy, mass media globalization, media law, and lastly ethics. All of these subjects captured the expanse of mass media and its influence on our lives. This course was extremely beneficial to me because before entering school I came in undecided with no idea what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Now I know that I want to major in communications with a focus in public relations, one of the subjects we covered in class. I appreciated the knowledge I acquired over the semester because it was beneficial in making me decide that media is the career path I want to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment